Ethnobotany and/or associated history:
To the south of Potries, there is a mountainous area called “The Penyascos” (the rocks). It is precisely on the most Eastern hill where the Calvary is placed. We find ourselves walking up the steep hill adorned with centenarian cypresses, on a cobbled and stepped path which allows people to go up from the village to the hermitage; it was built around mid XIX century on top of the hill.
The calvary itself, is built with solid bricks on a two metres high square base construction, each crowned with triangular pediments with a cross on top; these were made of cooked clay in a mould from the “rejolar” (local brick making factory), which was owned by the Aznar family from Potries. Inside each construction we can find an upper niche where the ceramic pannels with the stations of the Cross were painted.
This calvary already existed already at the end of the XVIII century; there is documented evidence that in 1799 a new house was built to shelter the image of Christ; this fact was the origin of the hermitage construction between 1854 and 1865. During the civil war (1936 -39) these ceramic pannels from the Calvary were destroyed, and were substitued with new ones during the decade of 1950 thanks to the funding by devoted families from the village.